home   contacts  







see hotels in Uzbekistan
  • Hotels in Tashkent
  • Hotels in Bukhara
  • Hotels in Termez
  • Hotels in Samarkand
  • Hotels in Fergana
  • Hotels in Nukus
  • Hotels in Khiva
  • Hotels in Shakhrisabz
  • Hotels in Urgench
  • Museum of Arts in Tashkent

    back to museums

    The Museum of Arts of Uzbekistan was founded in 1918 as the Museum of the People's University. Later it was renamed as the Central Museum of Art, from 1924 - it became the Tashkent Museum of Art and in 1935 - Museum of Arts of Uzbekistan.




    History of the Museum

    From 1918 to 1935 the Museum was located in the Tashkent's former palace of the Russian Prince Nikolai Romanov. In 1935 it was relocated to the building of the People's House where it stayed until 1966. In 1974, at the same site a new building of the museum was erected with a simple cubic form. The building on its four sides has semi-transparent windows which direct smooth light into the halls.

    History of the museum's collection

    The initial collection of the museum consisted of 100 masterpieces that Prince Nikolai Romanov conferred, as well as other individuals. Some of the items were nationalized in April 1918, including paintings and drawings by Russian and Western European masters, sculptures, art furniture and porcelain. Immediately after the establishment of the museum its collection was enriched with works from the collection of Turkestan regional museum, as well as inputs from museum collections of Moscow and Leningrad (Saint Petersburg). For example, from 1920 to 1924 the museum received a permanent display of 116 works of Russian art dated from 18th to early 20th century: those included the portraits by V. Borovikovsky, V. Tropinin, K. Briullov, N. Jaroshenko, Repin and others. The museum was able to aquire from private collections about 250 paintings by pre-revolutionary artists who created their works in Central Asia, for example, I. Kazakova, N. Karazin, R. Sommer.

    Since late 30-ies of the 20th century the collection has expanded considerably through obtaining the works of Uzbek artists.

    Displays
    "Bather" by Andrea Belloli




    P. Benkov. "Old Tashkent. Past



    Among the exhibits are works of Western European and Russian artists (from the collection of the Grand Duke N. Romanov), paintings, the museum received from other sources, as well as works by artists of Uzbekistan. These include, for example:

    * A sample of salon painting - "Bather", painted by a popular Russian artist of Italian origin A. Belloli;